Braised Short Ribs
Posted By MJ On September 17, 2009 @ 10:02 am In Food & Drink
(Return to the Cook Like a Man package.)
Ingredients for the Ribs: 6–8 lbs beef short ribs • 2 quarts chicken stock • 1/2 cup marmalade • 1 pint Guinness Stout • large pinch basil • large pinch cilantro
1. Season ribs with salt and pepper, and sear well on all sides.
2. Put into 6-inch half-size hotel pan; add chicken stock, marmalade (see below), and Guinness.
3. Place on burner and bring to a simmer; cover and place in a 350˚ oven for 3 hours or until knife-tender.
4. Remove and add basil and cilantro.
5. Allow to cool, then portion.
Ingredients for the Marmalade: 1 medium onion, diced • 1/4 head celery, diced • 1-1/2 medium carrots, diced • 1/8 cup red wine vinegar • 5/8 cup honey • 3/8 liter red wine • zest of orange, a few large strips • zest of lime, a few large strips
1. Caramelize vegetables.
2. Once they have good color, add zests and stir.
3. Add honey and caramelize as well.
4. Deglaze with vinegar and reduce mixture by 2/3.
5. Add red wine; reduce to a syrupy consistency.
6. Cool and serve.
Article printed from Men's Journal: http://archive.mensjournal.com
URL to article: http://archive.mensjournal.com/braised-short-ribs
Copyright © 2009 Men's Journal. All rights reserved.